Quite a lot of the bamboo flooring has been laid. The main exception is the kitchen area and pantry, which were covered in cabinets on the weekend. I had my first look at it on the weekend, and I love it – even covered in dust it looks great. The builder laying the boards is being very meticulous about mixing up the colours. His one complaint about this flooring is that the boards are shorter than standard hardwood floor boards. Quite a lot of the floor has been covered up to prevent damage, but there was enough to get a good look. Even Oscar was impressed.
We have been finalising and buying lots of bits and pieces:
- Variation for the tiles – natural (marble and limestone) cost more to lay than ceramic tiles.
- Variation for screening on the verandah (a mistake on the engineering report has our deck looking into the neighbours house, so a screen is required).
- More lights – swivel spotlights for the walk in robe and pantry (Ikea), outdoor spotlights.
- Shelf for the shower in the bathroom (Metric Tile).
- Returning the tallboy we ordered for the bathroom – we must have miscalculated as it doesn’t fit!
- Walk in robe order – a custom designed Elfa solution from Howard’s Storage World.
- Furnishing bought for Oscar’s Star Wars room – new doonah (to fit the european star wars cover), desk lamp (metalic and star wars-ish) and bedside table (it looks a bit like those walking fighter thingies!) from Ikea.
- Floor protectors for under the desks (Ikea).
- Globes – lots of them!
- Connecting the electricity (this task finally pushed me to tears!). Are there no electricity companies that know their processes for connecting a new property?
- Confirmed solar panel installation.
Oscar came to Ikea with me and enjoyed the shopping, but he is a bit over being dragged out shopping and to the house!
I have been on holidays since my last post. Hubby stayed home to hold the fort on the house front (which was a bit of a nightmare, but that is for another post). Oscar and I went onsite today to see the progress, and wow! we have real rooms now. The plastering is up on all the walls except the bathroom and ensuite, and most of the roof, except for the living area. Everything looked so much smaller, but with more definition. The exterior painting looks almost complete, and the base boards are going on.
Before I left:
The brown insulation is sound proofing – between the bedrooms and pantry, laundry and bathroom.